In the pre-independence era, there was a British Ammunition center in the visinity of Asansol. The present day workshop is built on the same premises. After departure of British rulers the ammunition centre was converted into a technical Institute bringing technical material from the nearby aerodrum at Nigahi. A sandwich pattern course in Electrical-Mechanical was first started in the workshop premises. It was due to the huge technical manpower shortage after independance . Dr.Bidhan Chandra Roy constructed the main building and it was converted into Asansol Polytechnic in the year 1950 with 2 Part time courses in Mechanical and Electrical and a separate ITI unit known as Asansol Junior Polytechnic. The Mining Engg. dept. was opened in the year 1958. Later Metallurgical Engg on 1981 , Mining Survey on 1995, regular Electrical Engg. on 2008, regular Mechanical Engg. on 2009 and Civil on 2013. The Part time Mechanical and Electrical courses were discontinued since 2014.